Monday, December 19, 2011

A Tale of Two Trees

It became obvious soon after we adopted Teddy that a full-sized Christmas tree was not going to be possible this year. Our house is small and Teddy is large. Small living room + large, galloping dog who likes to taste everything + Christmas tree = bad, bad things.

Sous chef
"Madam, I am offended by your insinuations."
I didn't think we would be able to find a tiny live tree, plus we will be away for a bit, so we decided to get a small tree. I found a package of two small, pre-lit trees at Target. Naturally, I got them all set up and discovered that one wouldn't light, but there were no more small trees left in the stores, so rather than return them and get nothing, I plopped the unlit one on the kitchen table. Festive!

I feel like we have the Goofus and Gallant of Christmas trees. 

Christmas Tree #2
Goofus refuses to light and has to be banished to the kitchen.

Christmas Tree #1
Gallant twinkles merrily with holiday joy.

 Of course, last weekend, I saw cute little tabletop Christmas trees. And then I slapped myself in the forehead. Maybe next year. In fact, maybe next year, I'll set up three trees.

I am really phoning Christmas in this year. I really cut back on the decorating and decided to ditch holiday cards altogether. Strangely, people have been horrified by this, by the fact that I don't have time or ambition to spend a lot of money mailing cards that will either end up in a landfill or recycled. Every year, I have sent them out and every year, I sit down and feel like I should write something inside. By the time I'm done, it is all I can do to not sign it "Well, here's your card."

Plus, my address book was in my computer that went kaput, so rounding up everyone's address again is a task that I am not up to for now. Perhaps I will feel more festive next year.

4 comments:

noodledogknits said...

1. Teddy is adorable.
2. re: festivity, I agree :) we should just blame the warm weather and lack of snow.

Angela Noelle said...

Goofus and Gallant trees!!! Bahahaha! That's amazing. I think they look highly festive and think that everyone deserves to take the holiday season easy every now and then.

SJ said...

I rather like the little trees. Quite dainty and tidy.

I, for one, would be happy to do away with the practice of sending holiday cards. It's taken us nearly a week to get ours out (on the late side, too) because we keep having to hunt down addresses.

DPUTiger said...

We're still trying to get our holiday cards out, on January 1. Yes, it's pathetic. I bought more 50% off cards for next year anyway. Sucker? Me? No way.