Saturday, December 31, 2011

Is there any better place to lose your dog than 1000 miles from home?

The MWP, Teddy and I have been in Florida since Tuesday. The MWP is here to support an event for work and Teddy and I tagged along for fun. Whenever The MWP's role in the event is done, he can do whatever he wants. Yesterday, he had to work quite a bit, so Teddy and I were cooped up in the hotel for most of the day.

We decided to drive west and see the Gulf of Mexico and walk Teddy while we were there. We all piled into the car and drove, but the first beach we found closed at sunset. Undeterred, we drove further south and ended up here, which was also closed (by this time, it was 7:30 PM and the sun was long gone), but there was still some beach access along a causeway that led to the park. We unloaded Teddy, who started sniffing the air and getting excited as soon as we opened the car door.

Remember how I've called Teddy our 110-pound toddler? Just like a toddler, he can get overstimulated and melt down. We only walked for 20 minutes and the joy of the salty air, sand and all the smells was suddenly too much for him. He started running around in circles, whipped his head around suddenly and his collar flew off. Then he spun around and was gone, sprinting down the sidewalk.

There is a reason that a Great Pyrenees should never, ever be off a leash when they aren't in a fenced yard.  A Great Pyrenees has a priority list and what you want him to do is not necessarily on that list. If Teddy doesn't want to come, I could be waving a steak and he wouldn't come. So we sprinted down the sidewalk after him, calling and calling and watching him pull further and further away from us. Dude is FAST and he was drunk on freedom.

I remember thinking "I can't lose another dog so soon" but as soon as it started, it was done. Teddy doubled back to greet another dog and we were able to grab him and get his collar back on. (I would have tackled him if I had to, but it didn't come to that.) We went immediately to the nearest open pet store and about a harness, just to keep him more secure until we can put another hole in his collar. Teddy's neck must be an odd size because the next smallest collar is too small.

Teddy was so wiped out from his 2-minute adventure that he fell asleep as soon as he got in  the car. I was so hysterical that he wouldn't come near me for the rest of the night and of course, I wasn't wearing sneakers when we chased him, so the foot that has the heel spur in it is screaming at me and I can hardly put any pressure on it.

I can't stop imagining how very, very bad it could have ended (I am a worst-case scenario person who is prone to obsessing) but everything is fine. I hope that the rest of our stay here is much less exciting!

5 comments:

SJ said...

That was a close one! Glad it all turned out for the best.

Julie said...

Good grief! You about gave me a heart attack and I read your post at light speed with my heart pounding until I knew he was okay. Nothing panics me more than the extremely rare occasion when one of the cats gets out for a brief minute or two. Riley has a chip and all my future kitties will as well. If Gabby or Winnie has to go under anesthetic for any reason, they'll be getting one as well. Gah, I'll have the heebie jeebies the rest of the day now or at least until I have a glass of champagne tonight. Happy New Year!

DPUTiger said...

Glad it turned out OK. Wow, what a scare!

A South Park Republican said...

Ugh! That is the worst feeling. Your heart is up in your throat and you're running all out hoping to get to your pooch before something awful happens. Glad nothing awful, well except for the 20 years you aged ;), happened.

Madame Purl said...

Whew! I was on pins and needles reading this post. I'm so happy it had a happy ending.